FAQ About Waxing
*When you should NOT wax or need to let waxologist know that you are taking medication orally or topically that will affect the skin. Some in that list include Accutane, Retin-A, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), Tazorac, Avage, Differin, Strivectin, Renova, Proactive, Avita, benzyl peroxide and salicyclic acid. This list are just some we are aware of so please let us know if you are taking any of these and if you are not sure, please check with your doctor.
Before getting waxed:
• For body waxing, it is highly recommended that the hair be ¼ inch long. Approximately 3 weeks worth of growth. You will have the most effective wax if you wait this long because every hair is in different growth stages. From there, depending on hair growth rate, 4-6 weeks is recommended for your following wax.
• 2-3 weeks is the most effective facial waxing span of time. (But everyone is different.)
• Lightly exfoliate skin a day before waxing.
• On day of waxing, refrain from using lotion or greasy oils from areas that you want waxed.
• Some clients take ibuprofen to reduce sensitivity and inflammation 30 min before their appointment.
After getting waxed:
• Avoid sun exposure or beds for 24 hours
• If you tend to be really sensitive avoid chlorinated water. Chlorine will dry out and irritate skin.
• 48 hrs after waxing, start lightly exfoliating area. Waxing pulls hair out by the root so when it grows back it grows in finer and if you have dead skin blocking hair and it will cause ingrown.
• Moisturize area, stay away from scented lotions.
• If you are still feeling irritated later in the day, apply hydrocortisone to area.
First time is the worst time but if you keep up with waxing, it gets better and is well worth it!!
• Chemical peels, microdermabrasion and laser can also affect skin
Q. Will hair grow in darker or thicker than it was?
A. Waxing will not change the color of hair and the hair actually grows in finer. One may think you have more hair after waxing because you are used to seeing no hair for a little bit after waxing it.
Q. What should I wear for a bikini/brazilian (completely Nkd) wax?
A. For a bikini wax you can wear whatever is comfortable for you, whether it is your own underwear or our disposable ones. You don’t wear anything from waist down for the brazilian.
Q. Can I get waxed during my menstrual cycle?
A. You can definitely get waxed during your cycle, it is just not recommended because waxing can be more painful during this time. Hormone change causes sensitivity so the most ideal time is 2 weeks after your cycle.
Q. How long does waxing last?
A. If you have let your hair grow out to the proper length, you should be hair-free for a minimum of 1-2 weeks following your appointment.
Q. Can I get waxed if I’m pregnant?
Q. What kind of wax does Nkd use?
A. Strip wax, hard wax and nufree (soy based ) wax is used here.
Q. How do I get rid of ingrown?
A. Everyone is different, using an exfoliant, exfoliating gloves, or a leave on exfoliating lotion will do the trick. Some people may have to do all of the above.